Friday, October 21, 2011

Nyan Cat Cake

I have a coworker who is bananas about this silly viral video of Nyan Cat:



A few months ago we somehow got to talking about turning internet memes into food (you know, normal water-cooler chit chat), and how awesome a rainbow nyan cat cake would be. I said I was up for the challenge. However, not being able to bare the heat of my house in the summer months I was baking very little, so I've put it off until now.  With the return of the wonderfully cold grey days have returned, so have my baking mitts.

I gave working with fondant (well, homemade fondant, which is really marshmallows and powdered sugar) a try. I had planned to cover the entire cake in the blue fondant and have a white cat... but as it turns out working with something made out of sugar and more sugar is, well, sticky. And difficult. Very difficult. I settled for a blue cat, and for my first attempt, I'm pleased with my colorful little cat cake. And if I may so myself, it was pretty delicious to boot.

2 comments:

deerhollow said...

The cake rocks...the song... well let's just say I had to cut the video a little short :D

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

I. LOVE. YOU.