Friday, June 3, 2011

Bambi Eats a Bird


I've been waiting for life to slow down for a hot minute before I updated this here blog again, but it has recently occurred to me this will never happen.  Like this deer gobbling up a little 'ol bird, life has one surprise after another for me the last few months. Luckily, they've yet to involve the devouring of a (live) creature.

Working a desk job has been going surprisingly well. I no longer have nightmares about waiting on tables that have shrubs growing out of their baked potatoes or people demanding a blanket. I received a raise, and a promotion is on the horizon.  I only feel the need to turn the cubicles into hurdles occasionally, and by putting into practice some leg exercises I can do at my desk I have eliminated my self-diagnosed restless leg syndrome. It's as if I'm actually growing into a real live adult!

Summer could not be more welcome by me. Three months of no class sounds amazing. Next week I am kicking off The Summer of Janell with a camping trip on the coast in a yurt with my pals. It's been in the making for months and I could not be more excited. While looking  into ideas for food, I came across the most impressive muffin baking process ever, by using nature's muffin cups: orange peels!




These little buggars were super easy and turned out incredibly moist with the perfect orange flavor. for camping, you fill the peels 2/3 full and cover with tin foil, place on coals and bake 10-15 min. I decided to give these a go before the camping trip and baked up a batch in the oven. I was worried the peels would dry out a bit without the tin foil, but it worked out great. I had oranges that fit perfectly in my muffin tin. One tip: don't cut the oranges in half like a grapefruit, they hold their shape better if you cut them the other way. Scrape them out with a spoon, careful to not to poke holes. You want to keep the peel as in tact as possible. Not only are they delicious, but these muffins come with fresh squeezed orange juice! I can't wait to try bran and cranberry muffins, too.

If anyone has any other fun camping food ideas, feel free to send them my way!

3 comments:

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

Those sound delicious! and look it too.

Have fun camping! We are itching to get out too.

Love you!

deerhollow said...

He ate a BIRD! I didn't really want to watch him eat a bird but the reason I am happy I did was just to listen to the lady recording it! HA! So if you make some yummy honey butter with brown sugar and cinnamon ahead of time and bring frozen rhoads rolls (sp?) you can roll the roll into a snake-like shape and twist it around a foil covered stick and roast it over hot coals...serve with the honey butter and it is pretty much heaven!

the firths said...

the muffins are genius. and that was the coolest carnivorous act i think i've ever seen.