Friday, July 20, 2012
a quest for a healthy summer in which I learn all yogurts, even of the same nationality, are not created equal
I've been a fan of greek yogurt for quite sometime, but lately I've become completely enamored with the creamy tangy treat, jumping into a full fledged gastronomic love affair. I've been eating it plain, with berries, in sauces, dressings, ice cream, and perhaps my favorite, overnight oatmeal, which is obscenely simple, and delicious on an almost stupid level. But I'll get to that in a minute. First, my sad sob story of how I made a terrible life decision involving my new love.
It's no secret that I'm in nothing near a fitness buff or health nut. I prefer lazing about in the shade with a book over an afternoon jog. I like gravy, and butter, and bacon, and cheese, and breads. A lot. With my pants fitting a little more snug lately than I'd like and feeling a bit low energy, I've jumped on a fitness plan which involved making an effort to work out more than the occasional yoga class, and eat breakfasts that don't involve gravy (as often). I'm not a calorie counter, but I've taken some nutrition classes and feel like I have a pretty good handle on how many calories should be coming in, and despite my love for junk, genuinely enjoy eating healthy. I hit a jackpot at the grocer when my favorite flavor of yogurt, honey, was on sale. I cleaned them out, grabbed some berries, and practically skipped home with my breakfasts for the next few weeks in tow.
The working out part was going great, but after a few weeks I didn't feel any different, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd been gaining weight. I couldn't figure it out! Until, I made a startling discovery. After removing one of the sale stickers, which was strategically placed over the nutrition label, I was shocked to realize the greek yogurt I'd been eating for breakfast EVERY MORNING, for almost four weeks, was not in fact like it's cousin chobani, with zero grams of fat, or even 2, or 3, or 4 grams. Instead this carried a whopping 19 grams of fat. No wonder these little cups of dairy brought me so much happiness. It was made of nothing but cream. I have never felt so silly for not paying attention to the label. It turns out, eating a cup of cream every morning does not help with a lady's fitness plan. At all. I've learned a valuable lesson, and can't help but laugh at myself. This is what I get for trying to be healthy.
Overnight Oats
I've been seeing recipes for this make-ahead breakfast for ages now and only recently gave it a go. I can't believe I waited so long. It takes two minutes to throw together, and makes for a filling, cheap, healthy (especially when not using cream yogurt), and delightfully tasty breakfast. Possibly the best part is how much room you have to experiment. I've altered the recipes I've found online slightly, but used this recipe as a reference (whose photo I also stole for below). You can leave out the chai seed, but I suggest keeping it in, as it really fluffs up the oatmeal and adds some protein.
Try it and let me know what you think!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment