Sunday, March 13, 2011

workin hard for the money

I was speaking with a coworker the other day (that's right, folks. I've got myself some fellow workers, with whom I complete tasks along side for a wage that we receive from a boss man. A regular ol' em-ploy-ee., this one here!) about how we had obtained our prior jobs. She had a similar situation to mine, in that the majority of jobs (over twenty!) I've held in my twenty-six short years (and yet to be "fired" from any of 'em!) I have landed from being offered the job, never by applying.

It would make sense then, that three days after I decided to take a break from sending out at least five resumes a day, (which I did for thirty days-- I'd do the math for you, but I've got a job,) I had a friend contact me meeting with his boss for a position. It really does pay to have good friends (pun intended).

Acclimating from restaurant industry to an office setting has been a strange transition for me. Besides feeling as if my eyeballs are on the verge of drying out from the florescent lights and computer screens, I'm really enjoying the change of pace. I'm learning a lot, and most importantly, I no longer (by requirement) have to wear shoulder pads or a bow-tie.

Life, is good.  


Thinking about the strange ways and odd coincidences that have brought both jobs and friends into my life makes me realize just how important life's crap storms can be in the long run.  It's like John Hartford wisely said, I would not be here if I had not been there. Sometimes it's easier to appreciate the here when I take the time to remember the there.




_______________________________________________

In case you're curious (which you ought to be), my many positions in order of appearance are: 
babysitter, 
dishwasher, 
old people feeder, 
fountain girl, 
hostess, 
janitor/housekeeping, 
hostess, 
plasma peddler, 
telemarketer, 
server, 
concessionaire, 
door-girl, 
box officer,
server,
office supply peddler, 
server, 
server, 
massage therapist, 
server,
infomercial extra,
box officer, 
server, 
sweater folder, 
and currently-- cubical dweller extraordinaire.  

4 comments:

deerhollow said...

You are a hard workin girl and we are so proud of you! That's quite a list of jobs you have there. You have much to offer the world and the world is very fortunate to have you.

xoxoxo
That's a triple kiss like the french do....

The Jacklins said...

Congratulations Janell!! I am happy for you to be employed again! I hope you enjoyed your few days of time off! :)

*Also...I will be sure to let my children know you can be of aide to them when I am old and need to be fed! Thank you in advance for your service!

the firths said...

Welcome to the world of cubicles. Glad to hear you found something; hope it's fun. I'm sure mom meant hard-working girl, and not hard working-girl. :)

I'll be thinking up a job that would let you do all those things on your list at once...

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

your job list is awesome :)