There has been an overwhelming lack of pie updates on this here blog. Fear not! There has still been plenty-o-baking going on in this household. This week my adoptive brother, Dylan (brother of the lovely Caitlyn) and I had a pie makin date. The pastry product: a sweet potato pie. Dylan loves to cook/bake but this pie held a special purpose; to woo his lady friend neighbor. He is already an expert- the pie was a success in both being delicious and impressing the neighbor lady.
(After several attempts of getting this to be right side up, I'm temporarily giving up before I get frustrated. Thanks, blogspot.)
I also gave a savory tart a go. This is a cranberry, blue cheese and walnut tart. It turned out great! I want to try it with chevre next time.
I'm not sure what's up next on the baking docket, but it will certainly be putting to use this handy little tool,
a lattice cutter, Lindsey gave me for Christmas. With it's help I may just make the prettiest little pie there ever was.
_______________________________________________
Cranberry Walnut Tart Recipe
Crust
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon milk
pulse dry ingredients in a food processor, add milk to form a ball, then press into pastry pan. Poke with fork. The recipe says a 9 inch pan, I did several smaller pans. Freeze for 30 minutes, then bake for 15 minutes @ 375
Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cranberries
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/3 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced fine
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled ( I used a bit more....)
Saute onion and salt in olive oil (I added a little garlic to be a little crazy) until soft and carmalized. Add cranberries and sugar and cook until berries pop. Stir in walnuts and thyme.
Spoon mixture onto tart, crumble cheese on top and pour cream and eggs (which you've whisked together) over top. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. It will be set up nicely when it's ready to be pulled out.
3 comments:
That lattice cutter just altered my world view. If you send me that savory tart I would be oh so grateful.
I added the recipe to the post. :) Isn't that lattice cutter awesome?! I have such a hard time making my pies handsome, this sucker is going to do the trick, I can feel it!
That pie was miraculous.
Post a Comment