Wednesday, October 13, 2010

gimme those pumpkin cookies already


What an interesting fall this has been. The seasons seem to be all sorts of confused this year. It is only just starting to have an ever so slight feeling of autumn, despite leaves having been littered through out the city for weeks now. The prolonged sun has been welcomed, but I'm ready to break out my scarves and mittens. Reading a good book under the weight of a quilt-by-mom with a mug of hot tea on a rainy day is quite possibly one of my favorite things. So come on, rain. Help a girl out with the rest of the equation already!

This term has been incredibly challenging and a whole lot of fun. I'm taking a very light load, only two classes, but have never put so much work into my assignments. I'm in an advanced workshop poetry class, which is very outside of my comfort zone as far as writing goes. I've taken a film class from the same professor and really enjoy his approach to teaching. I was quite apprehensive about the class, as I haven't written a "poem" since I was 15 or so. So far it's been lovely. The best part; I've been surprisingly happy with my pieces I've turned in. Receiving feedback from my peers, especially those really in the know of poetry, has been a great experience. Perhaps I'll post some of them later on. I'm looking forward to getting involved with other workshops different writing groups hold around town.

I'm also taking a digital photography class. Although I've been shooting in digital for a few years now, I still feel much more comfortable working with film as far as printing and editing goes. It's been fun to learn a bit of photoshop and become reacquainted with the basics and fundamentals of photography. Last week my assignment was on recreating daguerreotypes. Having a classically handsome gent like Ben, who also has a fantasticly charming 3-piece suit, I had him sit for me. This is the (almost) end result.  

And just for giggles: 
I've also been playing a lot with long exposures. As much fun as photoshop can be for manipulation, there's something really exciting about making a crazy image with only a camera and careful lighting. My favorites of this series are at school, but I still find this one to be eerily fun. 

 
Halloween is quickly approaching, and I'm frantically trying to narrow down all of my costume ideas. So far I think The Log Lady from Twin Peaks is winning. Think I can pull it off?



4 comments:

megan said...

Ha ha ha! Yes, you can pull it off! I need help with Halloween costumes for my family. I want to be a ballerina (mostly because I wasn't to make a tutu) but I'm having a difficult time coming up with a theme for the rest of my family. I was thinking of a "what I want to be when I grow up" theme. From there, if I even use that theme I have to narrow it down. I also am not a huge fan of cheap, store bought, ill-fitting costumes. So, whattaya got?

Love the pictures of Ben. You wrestler talented. I keep wanting to take a digital photography class but haven't yet. Those classes sound really interesting. I wish I would have taken some kid of creative writing class because I feel like all the history papers I had to write sucked all the creativeness out of me. I'm sure you are writing fantastic poetry. I think you should post some poems

deerhollow said...

I miss you. The end.
xo

quippish endeavor said...

I'm with you, Megan. Store bought costumes are boring. But I don't know if I'm the best person for costume advice... I tend to bite off more than I can chew with costume making, and generally as something obscure/nerdy that I spend most of hallows eve explaining. I like where you're going with the group costume idea though. What does Catcher want to go as? You and Reuben should go as each other. Cross dressing always makes for good fun.

megan said...

ha ha, if Reuben and I didn't already dress alike I would go with it.