Sunday, April 18, 2010

triumphant failure


Pie #4: fail #1
banana cream 

I type before you today, oh computer, with my head hung low, but with a full belly-o-pie just the same.  I made my 4th pie and it did not go as well as planned. It started out great- the dough was perfect. I could feel it in my bones that this pie would be a success!... until I had the wise idea to to try it in a spring-form pan, as it it much larger than any pie pan I have.  My greed ultimately lead to the pie's demise. the edges, surprise surprise, did not stay up well at all and folded down like a poor schmuck with bad posture.  Of course this is the pie night that caitlyn joi was bringing over a pie of her own, so I didn't dare end up completely pie-less.  I'm glad I stuck it out, as it actually tasted pretty great.  the crust was a bit thick,  especially when paired with the pie filling which was more than a bit shallow due to the lack of depth my slumpy crust provided- but I couldn't have had a more flaky crust and the filling set up perfectly.  

caitlyn joi's had attempted her first ever meringue pie, a lemon. and it was gorgeous.

  check out those golden brown peaks!  and it was delicious to boot! 

We've decided to enter a pie contest in August, so now my baking quest has some sort of end goal.
 Four months should give me time to become a semi-pro. 

A perfect pie wasn't all Caitlyn Joi had brought either.  She bestowed upon me her first handmade apron- complete with custom pie screen printing.  I am officially a maker of pies!

Never before have I looked so domestic!

Ccaitlyn's beautiful pie made my first disaster all the more painful- but the apron made it all worth it. and I even convinced her to let me pose with her pie to make me feel better.

i tried a first of my own this weekend, too. biscuits! i don't mean to brag.... but they were AWE.SOME. 


I feel like I'm being a horrible girlfriend by subjecting Ben to his inevitable heart attack from all the mass amounts of buttery baked goods we've been consuming, but so far we've managed to avoid packing on the pounds-- and have even managed to lose a few! (biscuits and pie! best weight loss solution ever!)  having the beautiful Portland weather back after a particularly gray winter, it's been great to spend more time out side. staying active can become such a challenge in all the rain. extra long walks with the dogs and hanging out in the yard has been great and makes me so excited for summer. 
  


Now all I need is a BBQ....

It turns out taking pictures of my kitchen is a bit challenging- it isn't the most roomy of spaces and doesn't have an awful lot of light. Here's a peak at our finished smurf and kermit cupboards. it's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do in an outdated house!
 

8 comments:

deerhollow said...

Great pics, adorable apron and the pies look yummy! I don't think I would be losing weight with all of your baking!! Keep it up and I will share my favorite crust recipe with you!

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

I LOVE the kitchen! fun paint. Thanks for posting some pics :)
And next time we get together you are definitely going to have to teach me some of the pie making techniques that you have mastered.
xo!

Scott Flinders said...

Look at you developing your domestic skills! Looks like you're doing great!

the firths said...

Good job on your pie making. I've kinda given up on pies, no patience. By the time I make the crust I'm totally bored with it all and wish I just woulda gone to the bakery. Way to learn the art of it all. I like your cupboards and the bold colors.

Brady says next time you do a posed baking picture in an apron, get your wrist turned on your hip the right way (a la your namesake)... and you may as well start working on fudge. :)

quippish endeavor said...

Thanks for the pie encouragement!

Dani and Lindsey- we are going to make pies this summer!

I will definitely work on the proper apron pose AND the fudge. Geeze. How'd I drop the ball on that one?! :) (truth be told- I can be found with hand on hip while humming to myself when cooking. If the name fits...!)

xo

The Jacklins said...

Ok...so you look just picture perfect in the CUTE Apron photo!! I love it!! And...you really must be pulling out the genetics with all this..because one distinct memory of our beloved Grandma Reta Flinders was owl decor in her kitchen, as well as her offering to bring "the pie" to family events! Go Janell Go...wish we were closer to enjoy the baked goods!

megan said...

I love it! It is funny in your previous post you wrote about not being creative, or something like that. are you kidding me with these lies?! You must have been joking!

Making baked good pretty is the hard part for me too. My older sister, my families domestic princess (because my mom is Queen) is so awesome at making pies. She makes about 12 every Thanksgiving. With pies, though I think they are prettiest when they are a but messy. They just scream "EAT ME!" with all the juices oozing out. mmmm

quippish endeavor said...

I didn't know that about grandma reta! I wish I could remember her owls (and her pies!!!). I have quite the collection going, maybe I'll post some pictures of the hoot-crew. If I get to come to *The* Anniversary Party maybe I'll be brave enough to bring a pie.

Megan- I'd argue that following a recipe doesn't necessarily require creativity, but I'll keep my mouth shut and take the compliment! ;)Your sister sounds like quite the baker! One year maybe I can aim for a 12 pie Thanksgiving. yum!