Thursday, October 15, 2009

franken, filmin and pirates.

have you heard about this?! frankencamera. crazy. part of me can't help but feel this is cheating. doesn't it take away from the art of photography? but then i think about it... and it's pretty stinkin-a awesome.  i guess the same thing could have (and probably was) said about other advancements within photography, like auto focus. can we talk about the name, too? frankencamera. that's hilariously cool. way to go, Marc Levoy.

-*-
i'm taking another film class this term. already it's proving to be much more enjoyable than the last film class i took which was overrun with ridiculous students and taught by a professor who had no idea how to control class discussions.  there was one guy who compared everything to The Sandlot. i readily admit this was a great movie, i love it as much as the next bloke. but come on, it's not something to compare a Jan Svankmajer film too. (i should also note that this same guy also referred to himself as a psychologist every chance he had, because you know, wanting to major in psychology at a community college is basically the same thing.) this was just one of the many... eccentric... personalities i had to deal with. (wow... i'm not still bitter at all about this class....)   anyhow- this time around it's shaping up to be a great class. the professor is intelligent and passionate about film, but not pretentious or patronizing. he's picked great films so far like Rear Window which i adore and hadn't seen in years. (if i may drop my slice of humble pie for a minute, i have to admit, the paper i wrote on the soundtrack was pretty good. i'm quite proud. especially since it was written the day of.) 

we recently watched Chinatown, which blew me away. i cannot believe i had never seen this! not that i needed another reason to adore Jack Nicholson, but he really was phenomenal. it was so good a soft spot  nearly formed in my heart for Roman Polanski with his current, er... situation... but then that split second passed, i came to my senses, and now i just wonder why so many brilliant artists have to make such stupid decisions.  (incidentally, the whole state of affairs took place in Jack Nicholson's house, which i find rather interesting.) now i'm rambling when all i'm trying to spit out is that i highly recommend watching chinatown next time you're in the mood for a good detective thriller. 

-*-


i have found my new favorite band. i hope it will become yours, too. because what more can anyone ask for in a band than pirate metal? nothing, i say! nothing. i dare you deny the greatness that is a keytar, especially when it's played by a scottish pirate.

(these guys are for real- they're no one song novelty act. they have two full length albums beneath their belts, and hopefully more to come.)

feast your eyes and ear drums on Alestorm....












6 comments:

Heather said...

It really seems like film classes provide the most interesting students. Do you remember Flow from my film class? I will never meet a person like her again. Never. Oh, how I miss her.
(Remember when you came to my film class?! That was totally adorable!)

deerhollow said...

I say .... mean. Didn't really enjoy that one, sweetie. Hope no one young watches this.

That said, hmmm I liked the ship footage and the music - didn't love his voice, but did like the instruments and the scottish take on it.

I don't usually comment negatively. This feels weird.

Your class sounds fun! We always need movie recommendations so keep them coming. No MEAN pirates though. :)

Happy 'Wild Things' Opening Day!!

xo

quippish endeavor said...

Heather- oh wowie, yes. I certainly do remember flow. She was unforgettable. I haven't been thinking NEARLY enough of her. was it Birth of a Nation you guys had watched? I've always wanted to see it. We were pretty adorable, for sure. I think my sole purpose of going with you was to see Flow, and some cute boy we were certain I could make fall in love with me. :)...& that night we saw elliott smith! geeze. all of this is flowing (haha) back like crazy. goooooood times...
xo

quippish endeavor said...

Mom- I suppose the video is a bit risqué... hope i didn't offend you (or anyone else). Those pirates were some pretty horrible folks. Which is why I find it more hilarious than anything. Grown men in a pirate metal band... I'd like to meet their mothers. :) Comment negatively whenever you please. If my mom can't be honest with me, who can?! & I'll do my best to lighten up on the mean videos.

xo

ps- tried to go see where the wild things were but it sold out super early! it was only showing at a handful of theaters around town. i'll have to try again another day. did you guys make it?

quippish endeavor said...

*where the wild things were...

ha.

this is why one should reread before posting.

i believe i meant where the wild things are ;)

deerhollow said...

the girls made it - but we are still looking for an open window...helped with a wedding Thur-Sat. check out the photos ~ on facebook.

xo